St. Pancras Crypt, St. Pancras Church, Euston Road.
19th Sept – 29th Sept 2002.
Lights On was the first exhibition to use the crypt of St Pancras Church, now a regularly used art venue. It was also an important exhibition for Measure, we felt we had finally encapsulated our aims as an organisation into a project, opening a hidden atmospheric venue with great work by London based artists. The theme of light was prominent whether by projected film works or by the tiny bulbs that lit the vaults showing the way into the vacant tombs leading to the installations.
Emily Richardson, Esther Harris, Heike Cavallo, Michelle Barber, Tim Graves & Jeff Sims, Tobias Collier, Simon Day, Louise Thompson.
St. Pancras church was built in 1822 in the classic Greek style, with the design a direct copy of the Erectheum in Athens. The crypt is constructed from a grid of arched catacombs, sprung off from three corridors running the length of the church.